Weekly Children’s Programs
- Preschool Story-time (Recommended ages 3-5): Mondays at 10:00am, Thursdays at 10:00am
- Books with Babies Sing-along (Recommended for birth to age 3): Thursdays at 4:00pm and Fridays at 10:00am
- Common Yarn Junior: Mondays from 3:30 to 4:30, drop in and knit!
- Gaming in the Library: On Saturdays from 2:30-4:30, join us for a gaming session with all sorts of board games, card games and Wii games with a focus on team play, fairness, and good sportsmanship.
To see this month’s calendar of Youth Events, please click on the blue button to the right. For quick descriptions and links to registration, try the buttons below.
- Science Sensations with Mr. Will: Space Age Materials Found in Everyday Places
We’re taking a look at some really advanced and interesting materials in this lesson. This lesson’s focus is on one of these new materials and the amazing reaction it has to one of the planet’s most common substances. You won’t believe your eyes when you see these space age materials at work! Don’t miss it!
- Science Sensation with 4H: - Advanced Gliders and Rockets! We’ll be exploring the way that rockets are used to lift and move things, most notably how we use them to travel up and into outer space! We’ll also be trying our own engineering challenges with library-safe (Balloon) rockets. It’s going to be a blast, so don’t miss out!
- Story and Craft - Pigrim Hats and Tiny Turkeys!
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, so join us to get into the spirit of the season as we read from a picture book and then make wearable pilgrim hats and tiny hand-sized turkeys! Thanksgiving spirit abounds and we hope you’ll come and share it with us!
- Pajama Storytimes - Once a month we hold a Pajama Storytime in the evening with a guest reader, and encourage anyone who would like to listen to great bedtime stories to dress up in their PJ’s to join us! Bring a cozy blanket and a stuffed animal, and share some great bedtime stories with us. (Parents are welcome to dress the part as well, but that’s up to you!)
- Canine Reading Buddy - Our Canine Reading buddy is Emmie, a very sweet and friendly Golden Retriever who has been trained as a Therapy Dog. Emmie visits the library with her person Mindy, who has extensive experience as an English teacher for young children. Emmie and Mindy are a great help to early or reluctant readers, as they’re an exciting and attentive audience, and are quick to offer encouragement and help. They love to help people learn to read even better and just making new friends at the library. Reading sessions with Emmie are 15 minutes at a time, and if you’d like to sign up for a session you can register online through the “Kids Calendar” button above, or by speaking with a member of the library’s staff. We can be reached by phone at 781-2351, and are always happy to speak in person as well!
Children’s Collection Case
The Library has a special case available to our young members to display their special collections for one month. It has been so popular that we have quite a waiting list. The Collection Case is located in the Children’s Room. To sign up, talk to Mr. Will or Mrs. Larisa.
Great Reads for Kids!
- Falmouth Elementary Mock Newbery Awards: Books read and voted upon by Falmouth Students following the tradition of the Newbery Awards.
- Maine Lupine Award: recognizes an outstanding contribution to children’s literature of Maine.
- Maine Student Book Award: outstanding children’s books chosen by Maine students.
- The Katahdin Award is a lifetime achievement award given to recognize an outstanding body of work of children’s literature in Maine by one author or illustrator.
- The Chickadee Award program is a new picture book award program for children in kindergarten through fourth grade. This award will be given annually to one of ten picture books nominated by a committee of teachers, librarians, and early literacy professionals. Each year the books are chosen from those published in the previous year and are selected because they present a solid original story and artwork that enrich and support the text.
- The Newbery Award: awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- Caldecott Award : awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- Michael L. Printz Award for Young Adult Literature
- More Children’s Book Awards