Weekly Children’s Programs – Back to School Schedule!
- Preschool Story-time (Ages 3-5): Mondays at 10:00am and 2:00pm, Thursdays at 10:00am
- Books with Babies Sing-along: Thursdays at 4:00pm and Fridays at 10:00am
- Gaming in the Library: On Saturdays from 2:30-4:30, join us for a gaming session with all sorts of board games, card games and Wii games with a focus on team play, fairness, and good sportsmanship.
Monthly Children’s Programs (Registration Required)
- Story & Craft Hour & Science Sensations: Each Meets once a month. Both events are open to children 5 and older. Space is limited, so please call or check in with our children’s staff to find out when the events are and to register to attend!
- Story and Craft Hour is a fun and relaxing activity that begins with the reading of a small selection of picture books with themes appropriate for the crafting activity that follows. Our crafts come in many different forms, but they’re all fun outlets for a creative spirit! Due to the occasional use of materials such as paint, glue and staples, adult supervision is required for those 8 and under.
- Science Sensations is the perfect activity for a young mind eager to discover more about how the world works! Each month we try a new series of science experiments for our young scientists to try for themselves and discuss the science they’ve just seen in action! It’s a great way to expand how we see and think about the world all around us.
Reading with Murphy – We have a special new guest who’ll be making regular visits to the library, and his name is Murphy. What makes Murphy special is that he’s a dog, a dog who loves to be read to! He’s a fully licensed and insured therapy dog, and he’s wonderfully gentle and kind. He also just adores getting to spend time with children in the library, and listening to all sorts of stories! It can be a lot more fun to read to Murphy than by yourself, and he loves getting to hear from reluctant readers most of all! Please call or visit the library to find out when Murphy’s next visit will be and to sign up to get to read to him!
We have two new book groups here at the library, and these are focused on books that have been hugely popular with our children and teens. Our book groups meet once a month and are open to any reader from age 8 to 18. Sign up sheets are located in the library, or you can call us at (207)781-2351 to register. A current library card number is required to register and request a copy of that month’s book.
The first is the Graphic Novel Book Group, where each month we delve into a new story crafted with both words and illustrations. Graphic novels of today tell rich, deep and meaningful stories and bring them to life in ways that words alone cannot match. We’re delighted to share these multimedia experiences with our readers, to hear about their favorites, and to see the stories they’ve crafted themselves!
Our Second Book Group is Great Reads with Strong Female Leads. Youth fiction has been exploding with powerful, dynamic and determined young women leaders. We’ve been happily reading these stories ourselves, but we’re even more delighted to share the stories of these strong young women with all our readers.
Our children’s staff is more than happy to help you register for a book group, or to answer any further questions you may have. We look forward to sharing some wonderful stories with you!
Children’s Collection Case
The Library has a special case available to our young members to display their special collections for one month. It has been so popular that we have quite a waiting list. The Collection Cass is located in the Children’s Room. To sign up, talk to Mr. Will or Mrs. Norman.
Great Reads for Kids!
- Falmouth Elementary Mock Newbery Awards: Books read and voted upon by Falmouth Students following the tradition of the Newbery Awards.
- Maine Lupine Award: recognizes an outstanding contribution to children’s literature of Maine.
- Maine Student Book Award: outstanding children’s books chosen by Maine students.
- The Katahdin Award is a lifetime achievement award given to recognize an outstanding body of work of children’s literature in Maine by one author or illustrator.
- The Chickadee Award program is a new picture book award program for children in kindergarten through fourth grade. This award will be given annually to one of ten picture books nominated by a committee of teachers, librarians, and early literacy professionals. Each year the books are chosen from those published in the previous year and are selected because they present a solid original story and artwork that enrich and support the text.
- The Newbery Award: awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- Caldecott Award : awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- Michael L. Printz Award for Young Adult Literature
- More Children’s Book Awards