- Preschool Story-time (Ages 3-5): Mondays at 10:00am and 2:00pm, Thursdays at 10:00am
- Books with Babies Sing-along: Thursdays at 4:00pm and Fridays at 10:00am
- Gaming in the Library: On Saturdays from 2:30-4:30, join us for a gaming session with all sorts of board games, card games and Wii games with a focus on team play, fairness, and good sportsmanship.
Monthly Children’s Programs (Registration Required)
- Science Sensations with Mr. Will and Science Sensation with 4H: Twice each month we meet to explore science topics with fun, hands-on experiments! One of these sessions is in cooperation with local 4H leaders, and the other is put on by our very own Mr. Will Space is limited, so please call or check in with our children’s staff to find out when the events are and to register to attend!
- Story and Craft Hour is a fun and relaxing activity that begins with the reading of a small selection of picture books with themes appropriate for the crafting activity that follows. Our crafts come in many different forms, but they’re all fun outlets for a creative spirit! Due to the occasional use of materials such as paint, glue and staples, adult supervision is required for those 8 and under.
Reading with Emmie- We have a special guest who loves to make regular visits to the library, Emmie the Golden Retriever and her owner Mindy. Emmie is a fully licensed and insured therapy dog, and she’s wonderfully gentle and kind. She also just adores getting to spend time with children in the library, and listening to all sorts of stories! It can be a lot more fun to read to Emmie than by yourself, and she loves getting to hear from reluctant readers most of all! Please call or visit the library to find out when Emmie's next visit will be and to sign up to get to read to him!
We've begun a new book group with a little bit of a twist. In this group we won't assign you any book for the month, but instead encourage you to pick any of the Maine Student Book Awards winning or honored books to read. At the meetings you can share a little about the story and why you liked it, but try to leave some surprises for the other readers to discover too! You'll get to hear other kids talking about great books from the Maine Student Book Award list. It's a great way to find some of the best and most popular books around! You can even find a link to the Maine Student Book awards just below.
Our children's staff is more than happy to help you register for a book group, or to answer any further questions you may have. We look forward to sharing some wonderful stories with you!
Children's Collection Case
The Library has a special case available to our young members to display their special collections for one month. It has been so popular that we have quite a waiting list. The Collection Cass is located in the Children's Room. To sign up, talk to Mr. Will or Mrs. Norman.
Great Reads for Kids!
- Falmouth Elementary Mock Newbery Awards: Books read and voted upon by Falmouth Students following the tradition of the Newbery Awards.
- Maine Lupine Award: recognizes an outstanding contribution to children's literature of Maine.
- Maine Student Book Award: outstanding children's books chosen by Maine students.
- The Katahdin Award is a lifetime achievement award given to recognize an outstanding body of work of children's literature in Maine by one author or illustrator.
- The Chickadee Award program is a new picture book award program for children in kindergarten through fourth grade. This award will be given annually to one of ten picture books nominated by a committee of teachers, librarians, and early literacy professionals. Each year the books are chosen from those published in the previous year and are selected because they present a solid original story and artwork that enrich and support the text.
- The Newbery Award: awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- Caldecott Award : awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- Michael L. Printz Award for Young Adult Literature
- More Children's Book Awards
Other Links for Children