Weekly Children’s Programs
- Preschool Story-time (Recommended ages 3-5): Mondays at 10:00am, Thursdays at 10:00am
- Books with Babies Sing-along (Recommended for birth to age 3): Thursdays at 4:00pm and Fridays at 10:00am
- Common Yarn Junior: Mondays from 3:30 to 4:30, drop in and knit!
- Gaming in the Library: On Saturdays from 2:30-4:30, join us for a gaming session with all sorts of board games, card games and Wii games with a focus on team play, fairness, and good sportsmanship.
To see this month’s calendar of Youth Events, please click on the blue button to the right. You can register there for any of the events described below!
- Science Sensations with Mr. Will: Bouncy Science!We’re going to be making a super bouncy ball from scratch together! Starting with chemical liquids and powders, we’re going to see just what it takes to transform them into a fun and colorful bouncy ball that you get to go home with! Registration is required, but you can sign up just above!
- Science Sensation with 4H: - Check back for February!
- Story and Craft – Ms. Larisa’s Penguin Pals!Ms. Larisa has a wonderful Story and Craft hour for us this month. January is cold and snowy outside, so we’ll be making some penguin pals, fuzzy, well-dressed little critters who just love to play in the snow and ice! We hope you’ll join us to hear fun stories about these dapper birds, and to make one that you can take home and keep! Registration is required, but you can sign up just above!
- Pajama Storytimes - Once a month we hold a Pajama Storytime in the evening with a guest reader, and encourage anyone who would like to listen to great bedtime stories to dress up in their PJ’s to join us! Bring a cozy blanket and a stuffed animal, and share some great bedtime stories with us. (Parents are welcome to dress the part as well, but that’s up to you!)
- Canine Reading Buddy - Our Canine Reading buddy is Emmie, a very sweet and friendly Golden Retriever who has been trained as a Therapy Dog. Emmie visits the library with her person Mindy, who has extensive experience as an English teacher for young children. Emmie and Mindy are a great help to early or reluctant readers, as they’re an exciting and attentive audience, and are quick to offer encouragement and help. They love to help people learn to read even better and just making new friends at the library. Reading sessions with Emmie are 15 minutes at a time, and if you’d like to sign up for a session you can register online through the “Kids Calendar” button above, or by speaking with a member of the library’s staff. We can be reached by phone at 781-2351, and are always happy to speak in person as well!
Children’s Collection Case
The Library has a special case available to our young members to display their special collections for one month. It has been so popular that we have quite a waiting list. The Collection Case is located in the Children’s Room. To sign up, talk to Mr. Will or Ms. Larisa.
Great Reads for Kids!
- Falmouth Elementary Mock Newbery Awards: Books read and voted upon by Falmouth Students following the tradition of the Newbery Awards.
- Maine Lupine Award: recognizes an outstanding contribution to children’s literature of Maine.
- Maine Student Book Award: outstanding children’s books chosen by Maine students.
- The Katahdin Award is a lifetime achievement award given to recognize an outstanding body of work of children’s literature in Maine by one author or illustrator.
- The Chickadee Award program is a new picture book award program for children in kindergarten through fourth grade. This award will be given annually to one of ten picture books nominated by a committee of teachers, librarians, and early literacy professionals. Each year the books are chosen from those published in the previous year and are selected because they present a solid original story and artwork that enrich and support the text.
- The Newbery Award: awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- Caldecott Award : awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- Michael L. Printz Award for Young Adult Literature
- More Children’s Book Awards