Weekly Children’s Programs
- Preschool Story-time (Recommended ages 3-5): Mondays at 10:00am, Thursdays at 10:00am
- Books with Babies Sing-along (Recommended for birth to age 3): Thursdays at 4:00pm and Fridays at 10:00am
- Common Yarn Junior: Mondays from 3:30 to 4:30, drop in and knit!
- Gaming in the Library: On Saturdays from 2:30-4:30, join us for a gaming session with all sorts of board games, card games and Wii games with a focus on team play, fairness, and good sportsmanship.
Monthly Children’s Programs
- Science Sensations with Mr. Will: Our science experiments are lots of fun! We meet to explore science topics with fun, hands-on experiments! For July we’ll be looking at how the 5 senses works, and ways that we can trick the senses. Prepare to be amazed, because you can’t believe your eyes!
- Science Sensation with 4H: Our science lessons with 4H are always exciting! They always bring by great new science experiments! For July we’re looking at Flight Command. This includes looking at the science of flight and building your own fixed-wing gliders, to seeing how pilots, flight controllers and other aviators keep planes and helicopters safely flying up above. If you’d like to join us on our high-flying science, click on the button below to register!
- Story and Craft - Our Story and Craft is a fun and relaxing activity that begins with the reading of a small selection of picture books with themes appropriate for the crafting activity that follows. Our crafts come in many different forms, but they’re all fun outlets for a creative spirit! For July we’re going to be drawing bigger than life as we take stencils to the library lawn and turn it into the biggest and greenest canvas in Falmouth!
- Pajama Storytimes - Once a month we hold a Pajama Storytime in the evening with a guest reader, and encourage anyone who would like to listen to great bedtime stories to dress up in their PJ’s to join us! Bring a cozy blanket and a stuffed animal, and share some great bedtime stories with us. (Parents are welcome to dress the part as well, but that’s up to you!)
Children’s Collection Case
The Library has a special case available to our young members to display their special collections for one month. It has been so popular that we have quite a waiting list. The Collection Cass is located in the Children’s Room. To sign up, talk to Mr. Will or Mrs. Larisa.
Great Reads for Kids!
- Falmouth Elementary Mock Newbery Awards: Books read and voted upon by Falmouth Students following the tradition of the Newbery Awards.
- Maine Lupine Award: recognizes an outstanding contribution to children’s literature of Maine.
- Maine Student Book Award: outstanding children’s books chosen by Maine students.
- The Katahdin Award is a lifetime achievement award given to recognize an outstanding body of work of children’s literature in Maine by one author or illustrator.
- The Chickadee Award program is a new picture book award program for children in kindergarten through fourth grade. This award will be given annually to one of ten picture books nominated by a committee of teachers, librarians, and early literacy professionals. Each year the books are chosen from those published in the previous year and are selected because they present a solid original story and artwork that enrich and support the text.
- The Newbery Award: awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- Caldecott Award : awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- Michael L. Printz Award for Young Adult Literature
- More Children’s Book Awards