The library will be closed to the public until further notice to deter the spread of COVID-19.
July 1, 2020 – A Message from the New Director
Library Re-Opening Update
I’m so happy to be able to give you an update on the progress of the renovated space. At this time, all of our stuff – books, files, furniture, etc has made it to 5 Lunt and we’re busy getting everything in order so we can plan for future library services. Please watch this space in the coming weeks, and I will share updates, photos, and a plan for re-opening once we clear a few more hurdles. In the meantime, here are a few answers to the more frequently asked questions we get via phone, email, or walking around town:
- We saw significant delays at the tail end of the project due to restrictions on work and travel due to COVID-19. Due to the shut-down, the bulk of our book shelving was actually stuck in quarantine in CT. But with the exception of a few odds and ends, shelving has now been installed throughout the building, and most of the new fixtures and furniture have now been delivered (see photo);
- We are currently preparing to inventory and unpack our entire collection. Originally, we had expected to accept help from volunteers to re-shelve materials. However, in order to provide the safest work environment for both staff and volunteers, we have elected instead to work only with staff in the building at this time;
- Outdoor library signs were installed today, and this past week the parking lot was paved and lines painted, and over the last few weeks new plants and gardens are growing, and everything looks great!
- Replacement window glass is on order, the damaged windows will be fixed very soon – a single pane was damaged so rest easy we are still secure;
- While staff is currently working in the building, we remain closed to the public. So we aren’t quite ready for your book returns, and ask that you hold onto to them for a bit longer. Don’t worry, you won’t have fines – we are extending due dates to August 10, and as other libraries begin to re-open, we will work closely with them to ensure that we adjust due dates and make arrangements for books out on inter-library loan as well. We may have some technical hiccups along the way, but please know that all Maine libraries are working together to get our whole system back up and running for you. This type of closure is a first for all of us, so it will be a bit longer before everyone is fully operational and sharing books across the State again.
- There are still a few items on the “punch list” related to the renovation – some cosmetic, some systems, some networking & phones. Once we clear a few more of these hurdles, we will have a better sense of a timeline that we can share with you for returning to sharing books and then re-opening to the public.
Watch our website and Facebook page for more updates and photos as we make progress. We are so excited to be able to see you all again soon, and I know everyone wants to see this beautiful new space you all worked so hard for – so please be patient as we work behind the scenes getting everything ready to go!
To view our virtual programs and times, visit our online calendar.
By registering for a program you will be able to receive information to access it. If you have any questions, please contact:Adult Programsemail@example.com
Youth Programs- Youthservices@falmouthmemoriallibrary.org.