American Legion Post #164
Following World War II, Falmouth Veterans returned to their homes and in 1946 established by charter American Legion Post #164. The Legion Auxiliary #164 was chartered in 1947.
In 1947 the Legion purchased the land now known as Legion Ball Fields. The Legion retained 2.5 acres of land for its post home and parking facilities for the community. The Legion is proud of this monumental gift to the town.
The achievements by the Legion in the community were numerous.
- “Old Home Day” was established in 1947. Held each July 4th, the celebration brought together surrounding townships for a fireman muster in a festive circus atmosphere including fireworks.
- The Legion initiated Memorial Day parades which have continued to this day.
- The Legion formed baseball and basketball teams for sponsored championships.
- The Legion sponsored scholarships for high school students as well as sponsoring high school students in oratorical competition and a junior in high school for Boys State.
- The Legion began decorating veterans graves for Memorial Day and has continued for over fifty years.
- The Legion and its Auxiliary are proud of its past achievements and it is one of the leading posts in southern Maine.
Since September 11th Veterans are especially aware of the freedoms fought and died for in all wars. Any group that attacks these freedoms in our towns, states and nations shall be brought to justice.
“God Bless America.”
A.E. Frederiksen, Past Commander
Post #164, Falmouth, Maine
The American Legion Post Home is a product of living history.
It commemorates the service of Falmouth veterans in all wars and conflicts. It is a testimonial to those that gave their lives from this town for the freedom that all citizens enjoy today. Their sacrifice must not be forgotten.
MEETING SPACE AVAILABLE: In the interest of Community Cooperation, the American Legion Post 164 desires to make available the use of the Post home for meetings or workshop functions. Contact the Post for details. 781-4709.
PRESERVATION: Because the Home is so important, we must preserve it. The membership of Post 164 has decided to establish a building fund for the purpose of future renovations and preservation of the Post Home and the remaining land. All contributions by civic minded citizens can join our cause by making a contribution.
CONTRIBUTIONS: Please make checks payable to the Falmouth American Legion Post #164 and send to:
Falmouth American Legion Post
65 Depot Road, Falmouth, ME 04105