The population was 1,511.
There were 12 school “districts” spread throughout the town with 463 students registered.
The length of the school year was 29 weeks.
Teachers were paid between $99 and $268 per year.
Real estate was valued at $1,036,287.
Rate of taxation was $1.13 per $100.
Poll tax was $2.00. Town Budget included:
$2,200 was budgeted for a new town house and fireproof vault, $2,000 for the schools, $150 for textbooks, and $400 for repair of school buildings, $400 for repair of bridges and culverts, $800 for snow removal. $2000 for highways.
At the town meeting on March 5, 1900, citizens voted to establish a free high school.
1632 Approximate date of first settlement in what is presently Falmouth, Maine by Arthur Mackworth (at what is presently called Mackworth Island.)
1658 The area around Casco Bay first became known as “Falmouth” and was the 7th town incorporated in Maine.
1700 New Casco Fort and trading post built.
1703 Fort attacked by 500 French and Indians. Saved by arrival of province ship. Fort demolished by order of the Governor of Massachusetts in 1716.
1718, November 11. With the end of the Indian Wars, Falmouth was reorganized and officially incorporated into the town, which included present-day Portland, South Portland, Cape Elizabeth, Westbrook, as well as Falmouth.
1759 First bridge built across the Presumpscot River at Smelt Hill.
1765, Nov. 1 Cape Elizabeth (and what would become South Portland) area set off.
1786, July 4 Portland area breaks off from Falmouth.
1814, Feb. 14 Stroudwater(Westbrook) area breaks off from Falmouth.
1821 Bridge built across the Presumpscot River at Staple�s Point.
Jan. 31, 1825 & February 24, 1835, March 21, 1836, March 25, 1853; Adjustments of boundaries with Westbrook. Parts of Westbrook were annexed in 1828, 1831.
1828 First bridge built across the Presumpscot River at Martin�s Point.
1846 The Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad goes through.
1853 Tower at Blackstrap Hill built as an observation post. It toppled in 1909.
1898 Trolley car service established which lasted until 1933.
1899 Open Air Theatre built in the Underwood Springs (burned down in 1907)
1900 Piscataqua Village Improvement Society Library had 530 volumes.
1934 First high school class graduated.
1935 First school bus acquired.
1941 Lunt School built and there were 2 school buses
1943 Mackworth Island given to the state as a wildlife refuge and a place for children.
1946-1976 Hurricane Ski Slope on Blackstrap Road.
1950 Lions Club organized
1952, May 1 Falmouth Memorial Library opened.
1961, October Town adopted a council-manager charter.
1965 Junior High School built.
1995 Falmouth Memorial Library opens with 7,000 square feet of new space.
1996 Town Hall renovated.
2001 New High School opens.